Thursday 25 October 2012

no, I didn't see the Wheatear...

in fact today was decidedly dire. The train into Lewes held only one good bird, a Brent Goose at Newhaven... seen to come in off the sea and land in the crop fields between the Mill Creek and the village of Bishpopstone. At school, Jake had yesterday reported a YELLOW-BROWED WARBLER, which despite a fairly extensive search before Media I failed to relocate. On the railway land I saw three Chiffchaff, 13 Siskin (I now suspect this flock my settle down to winter here), a handful of Goldcrest and Coal Tit, and overflying Jay and, by far and away the highlight- a late GRASS SNAKE. This is by far the latest I've ever seen this species (though two years ago, I observed a Buzzard carrying a Snake species in it's talons on 27 October, didn't identify it to species however!) I thought all reptiles would be well into their hibernations by now, especially given how miserable it's been for most of the last month! Clearly, this snake felt like being an exception to the rule...

Having already gripped me off with a Yellow-brow within the ground of our school, Jake then proceded to find a CROSSBILL today! It flew into the trees on the raised mound outside Cliffe House at about 14:50; and, no surprise, by the time I got out of Biology at 15:10 it was long gone! It was another 'one-up' on me, and brings Jakes school-list one closer to mine!

In order to quantify that last statement, I should first explain our competition. When we found out we'd both be at the same college for a year, we devised a yearlist competition, basically who could see the most birds within the school year. The location was the college grounds and Lewes Railway Land, the LNR opposite our sixth form.

I stormed into an early lead in September- wrapping up some regular migrants like Common Sandpiper, Yellow Wagtail, Garden Warbler and Reed Warbler to give me quite a fair lead! two Shoveler on 1 Oct  and some vis-migging Skylarks on 9 October extended my lead, but recently Jake has pulled back! Sparrowhawk and Kestrel were two of his 'grip-backs' and should be easy ones, but with the Yellow-browed and Crossbill he has, in the last few days, made it a much narrower lead! Currently I have seen 59 species to Jake's 56! we'll keep you updated on the competition over the coming months...

meanwhile, I'm just praying that Wheatear is still there on Saturday!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment